SpikeTV’s Video Game Awards show aired Saturday. Unfortunately, I didn’t watch much of it because I spent that time getting my Christmas tree up. But thanks to the wonder of the internet, I can skip all the cameos from celebrities who are about as far removed from gaming as I am from acting & just look up the winners on the computer.
Now, this isn’t a recap of the winners, because that would be boring & redundant. Instead I’m going to refer back to my previous entry “SpikeTV Announces VGA Nominees” & see how well I did at predicting the winners. Personally, I find that more interesting than watching the show, because usually what I want never wins (that’s why I typically don’t watch award shows). Instead, I make guesses about who I think will win. And you know what? I’m usually right. So let’s see how well I did:
- Game of the Year: Right. Not only was I right about Skyrim winning, but it was also my choice. It’s kinda funny, because at one point I turned to Spike when they were showing clips from Skyward Sword & I thought they were announcing that it had won. But then I stuck around to the end & saw that my favorite game this year won, & I was happy. (If you couldn’t tell from the review I just did, I love Skyrim.)
- Studio of the Year: Right. Chces are that whichever studio made the Game of the Year would win Studio of the Year, & Bethesda took the prize here.
- Best XBox 360 Game: Wrong. But I wasn’t that surprised that Arkham City won.
- Best Wii Game: Right. Come on, now. Did you really think a Zelda game wouldn’t be the best Nintendo game this year?
- Best PC Game: Wrong. I was very surprised that Portal 2 took the prize. Although I know people like the game, I would’ve bet money on Minecraft or Witcher 2.
- Best Shooter: Right. My guess of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 really was a shot in the dark, but based on my impression from what I’ve read, people consider it a better overall shooter.
- Best RPG: Right. Although I’ve already seen people complaining that Dark Souls didn’t get it.
- Best Fighting Game: I should’ve gone with my first instinct. I guess since this most recent version is the only one I’ve played after childhood, I forget how important a game Mortal Kombat is.
- Best Independent Game: Right. What could possibly compete with the Minecraft phenomena?
- Best Adapted Game: Right. It wasn’t that hard a choice when you compared Arkham City to Back to the Future & Lego Star Wars.
- Best Performance By a Human Female: Wrong. Way off. Again, I should’ve considered the impact of the original Portal to guess that Glados would win.
- Most Anticipated Game: Right. Right & happy that my choice actually won.
Score: 8/12 or 70%
So overall, not bad, especially considering on most of them I was guessing about games I’d never played. So does that mean I’m psychic? Or am I just an astute observer of trends? I’m going to go with the second option (& there’s a 70% chance I’m right).